Sunday 1 April 2012

PASQUA- EASTER A TIME FOR GOOD EATING

It's Palm Sunday-Domenica delle Palme. I do not recall any special dish for today but you go to church. Since Easter is a busy time for Italian cooks, there is a lot of activity in the home. Good Friday-Venerdi di Santo is a seafood dinner and you go to church. I thought I would tell you about the menu for Easter-Pasqua that my mother prepared and I like to follow.

Canadians make ham, Italians make lamb! Rhymes!

EASTER DINNER

Either a lamb roast or chops or a combination of both.

Depends on the size of roast or chops as to the timeframe of how long you cook it at 375 F. Put in a pan.  Slice up some potatoes and carrots to put in with the meat. Salt, pepper and put one of my favourite herbs- Rosemary-rosmarino. Put it in the oven without any cover.




The first course is the lasagna dish, I blogged previously on how to make it. Best made one or two days in advance.

Along with roast or chops when cooked, serve vegetables like rapini and red peppers. Or your choice of favourite veggies.

I don't make an appetizer as there is not a traditional one but will serve some cheese and crackers, shrimp and dip and some veggies and dip to keep everyone happy until the dinner is served.

So the menu is simple but very good to eat.

Of course there is the Easter Egg hunt enjoyed by the children-bambini! Il uovo di Pasqua. It keeps them busy before dinner is served.

Add your favourite Italian wine or any wine of your choice!

Since I am the cook I will be too busy making dinner to have time next week to blog about it. Maybe Barb will take lots of pictures while I prepare the meal!

While we all celebrate the Holy Week, think of the blessing of Jesus-Gesu Cristo!

1 comment: