Sunday 10 June 2012

GNOCCHI FROM CIOCIARIA

Gnocchi is a favourite pasta dish from Ciociaria. It is like an English dumpling or a Polish porogi or not. It is really an Italian dish. I make it often as it is my daughter Natasha's favourite too. Some people may use just flour and water. Ricotta cheese and even sweet potato have been used. I like to make it the way my mother made it- from potatoes.

Canada has a variety of potatoes. Prince Edward Island is famous for its potatoes. In Ontario, where I call home now, potatoes are also grown abundantly.  This dish takes time and labour to make. So if you really like gnocchi but not the work, most supermarkets and Italian delis have frozen packages. Not as good as mine, of course!

Okay, you want to try this recipe. Remember a cool kitchen. Fresh pasta making does not like a hot, humid day. Be like the Italians here in Canada, who keep their main floor kitchen like a showplace and use the basement kitchen! Or have a kitchen that is not too hot!

INGREDIENTS

Potatoes- gold, red or white. Your choice as they all make a good gnocchi. Usually about 6 medium sized ones.
Flour.
Salt.
One egg is optional.

Not necessary but a gnocchi press is very helpful.



DIRECTIONS

In salted water boil your potatoes until cooked as you would for mashed potatoes.

Make a well of flour. Start with a cup( 250 ml) or two( 500 ml)- with your gnoccchi press or masher- the gnocchi press is better- press a potato at time into the well.


Add flour to the mix as you add each potato.


Adding potato and mixing until all the cooked potatoes are all added. You want the dough to be moist but not sticky.

You can add an egg if desired. I usually do not. You can also salt the dough. I usually salt the water I cook it in.

Knead the mixture together. Make a nice ball. I like to let the dough sit for an hour or two to absorb. You can put it in the fridge.

After letting it sit, cut small portions and roll into long skiny pieces. Let these pieces sit.

After about 5, start to cut bite size pieces. I would suggest a helper. You roll and let the helper- usually it is Barb to cut the pieces.

Take the pieces and roll them on the gnocchi press or a fork or any surface with a pattern or bumps. It allows you to use your thumb to make a little indention to the gnocchi pieces.


You can cook the gnocchi right away or put on a floured cookie sheet and freeze until hard. They freeze well. Since it is a lot of work, it is best to make several meals at the same time.

When making gnocchi, boil in salted water until done. Not too mushy!

Use my ragu sauce recipe or a hearty meat sauce of choice. The meat sauce sticks to the pasta. So gnocchi needs a good sauce.

It can be a complete meal with a side salad.

From the picture you can see, it can be the carbs for a a full dinner with a meat and vegetables. Your choice!

It is a pasta that is great on a winter day or made in the summer if desired. I just know when I ask my daughter what I can make her for her dinner in November, she always say gnocchi. Of course, I usually give her an extra bag to put in the freezer for another meal. Those busy working mothers always need a Dad's touch!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy, especially with a meat and tomato sauce and a side salad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does freeze well. We often have it as a small side dish with our meal. It is very filling so we do not like to eat too much of it. I make it myself sometimes.

    ReplyDelete