Sunday 9 September 2012

THE ONION/LA CIPOLLA-A MUST FOR COOKING

Onions are used in cooking constantly. I don't eat an onion like I would eat a piece of fruit or a vegetable. I love fried onions- cooked in a little oil with no garlic- as a side dish on a steak or by other meat. Of course a slice of onion on a hamburger adds to the flavour!

Ordinary cooking onions are used in my sauces, soups and salads. Sometimes I buy the red onion to use in Greek Salad. Barb made a potato salad for a family event using them as a garnish on the top.

I was not impressed as I thought she put too many onions. She does not like to mix them in the salad but allows for people to decide if they want any onion or not. She thinks if the onion stays too long in the potato salad it begins to taste like onion!

Over the Labour Day weekend, we took one of our final little summer jaunts. We took a morning drive to the The Holland Marsh area north of Toronto and not very far from us.


It is a large wetland and agricultural area growing many vegetables especially carrots and onions.


There were still some onions growing in the fields ready for harvest.

On one road we saw crates of onions waiting to go to market.


The odour was quite pungent. You knew there were onions in the crates.


We stopped at one market in Bradford- the major town in the area.


I didn't buy any onions but some cauliflower and grapes. Barb wanted to make some grape jam for me- my favourite!
#cipolla#onion#goingtomarkets#granpalovestocook#adolphdimambro#onionsarepungent

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know they grew bananas in Holland Marsh!

    Seriously, it's great to be able to go there and buy farm-grown produce.

    Happy cooking!

    ReplyDelete