Thursday 29 August 2013

GARLIC-A MUST FOR ITALIAN COOKING


 I tried growing garlic in my summer garden this year. Actually turned out okay.


A friend from my Italian Social Club gave me a huge bunch of garlic bulbs. So along with "my crop" and his donation, Barb and I have lots of garlic to use for the next few months. Garlic has been around for 7000 years. It was always popular in Italian cooking. When the influx of Italians came to Canada after World War Two, there was a stigma to eating garlic. How times have changed as everyone uses it now. It is used not only for cooking but some claim medicinal purposes. I use it a lot in my cooking. Many Canadians love the garlic bread at home and restaurants.



We found a quiet, dry corner in the kitchen to hang our garlic bunches.



Our  kitchen looks a little old worldly but some cultures use garlic to fend off vampires so the bunches are a good defense. Must be working-no vampires seen lately!

1 comment:

  1. I use garlic in most of my cooking. It brings pasta dishes and stews to life. I cannot imagine a kitchen without it.

    ReplyDelete