Sunday 16 December 2012

LA LA LA PESCE FRITA- BACCALA

Baccala  is the common dish for any Christmas Eve Seafood dinner. It is salted cod. The trick is to soak the cod in water for even as long as a day to reduce the amount of salt before cooking.
Dishes include simply frying some pieces in oil and garlic on the stove.

It can be rolled in a breaded  mixture or  flour and baked in the oven along with other fish/seafood dishes.

My mother used to make a baccala soup by putting some pieces in a tomato mixture.

I don't make the soup because no one else really eats it. My family like some baked cod or baccala from the oven.





This can be dish # 3 and # 4 depending on whether you make the soup.

Baccala is a good addition  to have for anyone who has a shellfish allergy and wants to partake in the Christmas Eve Seafood dinner.

Added note- don't over soak the fish in water to remove the salt. One year I did that and there was no taste left of the fish. It was very bland!

An old Italian rhyme- la la la, pesce frita, baccala!

1 comment:

  1. I understand some Newfoundlanders still produce salt cod for their families. Personally, I've never tried this dish. And, I can't say it's something I'd try. It just doesn't look very appealing, compared to all your other seafood dishes.

    ReplyDelete