Sunday 29 April 2012

ROSMARINO-ROSEMARY- THAT WONDERFUL LITTLE MEDITERRANEAN HERB

Rosemary is a wonderful herb I learnt to use in my cooking from my mother. It can be added to many dishes. Now I grow fresh rosemary in my garden but it can be bought dried in any store food section that sells spices and herbs.
With a little internet research, I discovered some history of the herb. Apparently when the Virgin Mary spread her blue cloak over a white rosemary bush, the flowers turned to blue so from that time it became known as the "Rose of Mary". It is supposed to have some medicinal purposes. For me, I just like the taste on my food.
It brings back memories of my childhood in Italy- Cassino area. We used to grow it all along our driveway.


I use it on a variety of meat.
Lamb with potatoes roasted in the oven is a popular dish for our family. That little Ciociaria lady keeps popping up everywhere!


One of our Sunday favourites growing up, was chicken and potatoes with rosemary cooked in the oven. It is an easy dish- chicken legs and thighs or breasts with potoato wedges covered in rosemary- bake in 400 F about one hour and check when ready.
A small pork roast will benefit from additions of rosemary. Barb tells me she just loves the aroma in the house when any food is being cooked with rosemary!

Pan Fried potatoe slices- the way I like them or you can make wedges cooked in vegetable oil  with garlic and rosemary in a pan on the stove. It is another welcome addition to any meal. I make this dish with a summer barbecue. It can be greasy so I like to dab the oil off the potatoes before eating.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! I think I'll try this with chicken and potatoes this week!

    ReplyDelete