Sunday 1 July 2012

MY FIRST CANADA DAY-FROM ITALY TO CANADA IN 1959

For me, Canada Day is always a reminder of my arrival in Canada from Italy in 1959. We actually arrived June 29, 1959 so I was on a train to Toronto.

Barb wrote the story of our trip to Canada and submitted it to the Museum in Halifax- Pier 21. It was the port used for immigrants, British evacuee children during World War II, 50,000 War Brides & their children, over 100,000 refugees and 494,000 Canadian troops bound for Europe between 1928 and 1971. I think she even wrote a post on her blog about my immigrant story.
We came over on the Ship, The Queen Frederica. It was a Greek liner. We had left Cassino going to Naples, June 18, 1959 sailing to Genoa, Italy to pick up more passengers then on to the Straits of Gibraltar across the Atlantic Ocean to Halifax, Nova Scotia. Most of the sailors spoke a little Italian and were very kind to us. The food was great and we definitely did not travel steerage as immigrants did in other times.
When we arrived in Halifax the guys on the ship offered us a big basket of fruit but we declined thinking we would get great food on the train. The train ride to Toronto took us past vast, open spaces with a shack here and there and a dozen people waving at the train. I wondered where the hell had my mother taken us.
I distinctly remember Canadian bread. It was like an accordion and very soft. I even tried to bounce it. It was not hard and crunchy like Italian bread. We were served some spaghetti but it was from a can! Terrible! To a 9 year old quite disgusting! Again I wondered where my mother had taken us.
After arriving in Toronto and being greeted by my two uncles who took us to one uncle's home I started to like it. Since I learnt to settle into Canadian life, Canada became a wonderful blessing. Although Italian born, I am Canadian with Italian roots. I am lucky as I can enjoy the best of both worlds celebrating my heritage and loving my adopted Country!


Happy Canada Day 2012-#145! Forza Italia-hope we win the soccer game!
#landinginHalifax#QueenFerdericaship#newlyarrivedimmigranttoCanada#firstCanadaday#Pier21HalifaxNovaScotia#storyatthePier21museum#newhome#loveCanada

1 comment:

  1. Great story of your arrival, Adolph. Canned spaghetti? Yuk!

    I need a good recipe for meat balls for pasta dishes. Mine seem too dry inside.

    ReplyDelete