Sunday 15 July 2012

OREGANO/ORIGANO- ERBA ITALIANA

Oregano is a staple in my cooking. At our home in Italy it was in the garden as it now grows as a perennial plant in my summer garden.
Some oregano drying and a pretty picture Barb took years ago. Anyway, oregano grows easily in the garden. Picking the leaves fresh adds flavour to food. I pick the whole plant even with the purple flowers to dry. The flowers  can be cut off or dried if you want!

Here's some of my fresh "crop" this year. I let it dry thoroughly which can take several days. I lay it out on cookie sheets. It needs to be rotated so all the leaves dry. When very brittle and dry, I use my coffee bean grinder to make it into powder form for use all year long.
Barb marks the containers " Adolph's oregano"!
It is good on pizza of any kind! Bruschetta and just sliced tomatoes taste better with oregano. Chicken cacciatore and Greek Salad are other dishes that benefit from it. I know there are different varieties. Maybe I will do some research on the one I have in the garden.
#oregano#oreganointhegarden#harvestingourownoregano#oreganoisgoodinfood#yesitisreallyoregano

1 comment:

  1. I have some perennial oregano in my flower bed also. Now, if I could just find it amongst the weeds!

    ReplyDelete